Friday, February 15, 2008

Without Warning


Today started off just like any other Friday. In fact, one of my classes got canceled and I was able to leave work 1 hour early. I walked the same way home I walk every night. It was bitterly cold outside the kind of cold that, if you breathed you could see your breath. And your hands and toes felt frost bitten as soon as you stepped outside. I was walking faster than normal and on this night I had my iPod turned on low. I was maybe less than five minutes from my apartment when I heard an ambulance and two girls running behind me. As soon as, I stepped towards the corner I saw someone laid out in the street and the medics trying to pick up the person's limp body off the cold pavement. It appeared that someone was hit by a bus or a car, I couldn't tell which one because there was a bus and a car right next to the body. I stared at the body while I was crossing the street and all I could think, is that could have been me, it would have been me, if I have gotten there a few seconds earlier.

In a country with millions of people I have never felt so alone.


Until Next Time...


Love God, Love Life, & Love Yourself because if you don't who will?


~N.

5 comments:

Don said...

I am happy that it wasn't you.

Stay safe.

Black Wombmyn Chat said...

Glad you're alright. Hope that the victim will be, too.

Natarsha said...

Thanks, I will.

kayellejaye said...

Damn. I stood next to a lady that got hit by a car. We were waiting for the light to turn to cross the street. I was gonna jaywalk, then I changed my mind. She decided to go and....BOOM. She flew up in the air and back down on the ground. And the damn car drove away. It all happened so fast. I didn't see a license plate or nothing.

Natarsha said...

Wow! You just never know. But the funny thing is I have been close to being in so many accidents here it is not even funny. They drive so reckless here.