Monday, June 30, 2008

Fan of Your Blog! ASK NATARSHA pt. 1

*I receive emails about life here in South Korea and I wanted to share some of them because I am quite sure that many people have questions about Korea and may be afraid to ask them. This week I will be answering questions about various questions people have about life here in South Korea. Hopefully, this will answer some lingering questions that anyone may have, but just haven't asked :)

South Korea is the same as living in the United States. The only difference is the culture and customs. In order to live in another country you must have an open mind.

Questions from "Anonymous" United States of America, Louisiana


1.
Was it extremely hard to adjust to life in South Korea? I am worried that I will hate it and be stuck there in a deep depression for a year! You seem to have adjusted well to the move. Is it because you have friends there with you? Would it be different if you didn’t?

No, it was not a difficult transition for me. I would get in my moods where I feel lonely or depressed because this is the furthest I have been away from my friends and family for a long period of time, but then I get over it because I am living in Korea! I love my life! and it is only for 1 year. The year goes by so fast you won't even realize that you have been gone for 1 year. I am blessed to be here and I get to talk to my friends and family everyday as if I were back home. I have friends here, but I do not get to see them often because we all live so far apart, so whether you have friends here or not does not make a difference. It is easy to make friends here and I have many friends here of all races. The Korean people are really friendly, well at least the ones I have come across and met :) I also spend majority of my time to myself, doing the things I like to do and just enjoying each day and each moment because this is a once in a lifetime opportunity.

2. Are there other African-Americans out there? [I’m afraid that I won’t have anyone that looks like me out there…]

YES! There are many African-Americans here. I can put you in touch with some, if you decide to come here. Don't worry there will be plenty of folk who look like you when you get here. BUT don't let that be a discouragement or a determining factor for you to come or not come...the most important thing you have to have when you come to Korea or any foreign country is to have an open mind. What I mean by that is don't be afraid to meet new people and try new things, if that is something that you are not open too, then traveling abroad is probably not the best thing for you to do.

I hope that I was able to answer your questions. I answered them as openly and honestly as possible. Please know these responses are based on my experience. If there is anything else I can do to help please feel free to email me. If you decide to come to Korea please let me know. Lastly, if you are still trying to figure out if you want to come or not ask yourself this, "Why not come Korea?" There is no better time then the present. I would encourage you to go for it! It is a wonderful opportunity and experience, but most importantly pray and ask God, if this is something that he wants you to do.


Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.
~Mark Twain

2 comments:

Don said...

Mark Twain speaks the truth.

I enjoyed your answers given. Thanks for taking the time to provide your readers with a clearer understanding of life in Korea. It's funny, those are the same questions I'd ask. LOL.

Natarsha said...

I think that more often than not people want to know the answer to these questions just out of curiosity.