Sunday, January 6, 2008

They call me "Teacher"



Since my plane landed 12 days ago I have met new people, tried new foods, and most importantly, I started a new job teaching. Just a few days ago I started teaching during the "busy season" this is when children are on a month long winter vacation from school, but still have to go to one of the private institutions. See, the children here go to school all year round' even on Saturdays. They usually get there morning started around 7am and end their night after midnight. During the "busy season" I teach from 9:50am-8:25pm Monday-Friday and 1 hour on Saturday afternoon each class is about 35-40 minutes. I teach on average 40 classes per week. There are approximately 1,000 students or more who are taught at our hagwon (private institution) on a daily basis. Education is very important here and teachers are well respected here too.

On my first day of teaching (Jan. 2) after one of my classes a student came up to me and said, "teacher, teacher and handed me a bag with the red bean fish treat that is pictured above and told me to take one", WOW! I thought...I got a present on the first day...man I love this job, but then in the next class after that one about 35 minutes later another student came to me and gave me another treat (it was in Korean, but it did say something about vitamin C?? I am not sure what it was, but it was the thought that counts)...I was like, "two gifts in one day" I was like finally a job where I am appreaciated and they show you how much it means to them. Of course you have your days where some classes are better than others, but overall I like what I am doing at the time.

Now, the students are trying to help me come up with my Korean name (see the Korean students have a Korean & English name so we can identify them, so they keep asking me what my Korean name is)...They taught me how to write my name in Korean and they pronounce it, "Na-tar-cha"...it is so funny.

I have already started to learn the language. I know how to say Hello & Thank you!! I am learning the alphabet and how to count as well...Yippee!

Until Next Time...

Love God, Love Yourself, & Love Life because if you don't then who will?

~N.

0 comments: