Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Korean Made Easy for Beginners

I have been here for 6 months and I know enough Korean to get by, but I decided that I wanted to try and conquer the Korean Language, so I can at least read Korean, understand it, or speak it, but all three would be great, too. This is the book we are using:

My first lesson was on yesterday. I am learning, "Hangeul" which is the Korean writing system. I learned the Korean vowels and consonants. There are 6 basic vowels, 5 basic consonants, 4 combined vowels, 5 consonants, 4 vowel combinations, 5 aspirated consonants, 7 vowel combinations, 5 tensed consonants, 9 final consonants, 5 final consonants, 2 final consonants, and 6 double consonants. Whew! After we learned all of that we started to put the letters together to make words. That was a lot of fun. My teacher said, that I pronounce the words really well...Next week, I think I will buy her coffee?? lol

If you are thinking about coming to Korea or are already in Korea you should definitely pick this book up because you will definitely benefit from it and then you will get extra brownie points from the Koreans because you are attempting to speak there language. Even if you butcher the word, it is okay because they will get an idea of what you are saying. The downside is once you say one word in Korean, Koreans will start speaking in Korean and you have no idea what they are saying, but if you just nod your head and smile and say, nay or day, which means yes and laugh a little or sometimes throw in aniyo, which means no, or I am a English teacher, you can make it through the conversation or least that has been my experience.

Until Next Time...

Love God, Love Life, & Love Yourself because, if you don't who will?

~N.

3 comments:

All-Mi-T [Thought Crime] Rawdawgbuffalo said...

some body has too, me speak Igbo, wolof and read german and arabic no more for me

Natarsha said...

lol

kayellejaye said...

I'll let you be my tutor when you get back. I might even give you a few dollars for your troubles.